16 March, 2015

Morgan Stanley internship

Hi,

I can't believe it has been about 3 months I haven't had written a single blog ! It seems I am behaving as the busiest person in the world. I missed blogging.

I have joined the firm Morgan Stanley and interning there since January 2015. Its a 6-month project, which I am supposed to complete as a part of B.Tech training project. I am working on a project called fPod with Client Servicing department under Investment Management.

fPod is Client Services Application which get feeds from various different Transfer Agents & Fund Accountants on daily and monthly basis for different Fund Families. This application caters to the most important International Fund Families for the Investment Management Division like SICAV(INVF) - Europe, ITM - Japan, OEIC - UK, etc. We are also in plans to incorporate the biggest US Fund Family into fPod as a future initiative for next year.

I am not diving into the technical details of the project, but the project is based on the problem to move away from FTP to CXF Services using marshalling and unmarshilling of data and maintain cache on services instead of file System.This was challenging as performance also needed to be taken into consideration. The existing FTP system took 10 seconds to download and parse files, which is now reduced to less 2 seconds. :) A performance enhancement of 500% and at the same time, moving away from FTP which had security concern is the biggest achievement. The code will going through code review for next 2 days and then QA followed by UAT and production. I am so happy that I would be able to see my work merging into the mainstream and go live before my internship completes and will be serving all our fPod clients with a better experience. :)

I had a tough time relocating to a different state (Mumbai), finding accommodation, understanding the problem, business cycle, learning the technology stack and delivering my best. Infact, you would be surprised that for one full month I was surviving on a poor internet connection, a mere-shitty-mobile data pack! On top of that, my mobile malfunctioned and I was using not-at-all-smartphone for a fortnight with no internet connectivity at new apartment. Phew ! Now, almost everything is settled, I am settled and have kind-of adapted to this new life !

I wish to write more about Mumbai, my experience meeting people, travelling in local trains, finding accommodation, food, roaming around the city, etc. Stay tuned for a post on it. Right now, its the Anita Borg experience, which is on my mind. I have been delaying it since September, but I guess next round of the scholarship is to be announced soon, Girls aspiring for this scholarship, you need not wait long :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment